Thursday, March 27, 2008

Why I Will Never Retire

As you may have guessed, I have some serous problems with how our government has been run the past 16 years. It has been longer than 16 years, but I was younger then and I figure I've covered all the political sides. We have been continuing down the road of a bigger and more central government. And the greatest tool of government manipulation is withholding.

In case you don't make it to the end, here's the obligatory Fairtax link. To give you an idea how important this is, I did donate a portion of my tax refund so that I will one day never get a refund, as there will be none.

I'm sure I've covered this in some way before, but here's the problem with withholding: Nobody, excluding the small businessmen, know how much the government leech is sucking out of each and every paycheck. I can't tell you the percentage of my check is being sucked out. So I'll get a pay stub and tell you. Give me a moment here.....

Okay, got it. Because I'm in the lowest tax bracket imaginable right now, only 10% of my check is sucked up in withholding. I'll admit that surprises me a little bit. Of course there's no federal tax being withheld from that check, which keeps it so low. So go ahead, get out a pay stub and do the math. I bet your number will be higher.

But here's where it gets tricky. That amount doesn't include the amount my employer has to pay in because the government requires it. And it doesn't include the assload of taxes that every business passes on to me. And I can't forget any sin taxes or fuel taxes (gas taxes are both under the Global Warming insanity) that take more out of my pocket.

So how does this relate to my retirement? I have two children. They will only get more expensive each year. With the constant barrage of taxes sucking money out of every orifice, that makes saving and growing my money more of a challenge. So if I don't have the money, I don't retire. Especially since I don't expect Social Security (something both parties have failed to fix) or Medicare (proof of the fallacy of socialized medicine) to even be near existence when I would eventually be eligible.

This means all the money that I've had sucked out of my paychecks and will see sucked out over the next few decades will be gone and won't ever be coming back. So there goes retirement. Oh well, they'll still need greeters at Wal-Mart, I suppose.

No comments: