Saturday, July 4, 2009

Waning Independence

First of all, here's a link if you want to get your patriotism on your desktop. Because, despite much of what I'm going to say, I believe that all the Americans reading my wisdom and light are patriotic, and want to see America be better, be greater, and be good. And they all love their country.

I am apt to believe that it [Independence Day] will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. — I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. — Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will triumph in that Days Transaction, even though We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not. - John Adams

There will be a lot of red, white, and blue flying from a lot of people this weekend. Unfortunately, unlike the conservatives fighting to protect the original intent of the Founding Fathers, or even the liberals who see the flaws and want to " fix" what ain't broke along with what is, the majority of these people see freedom as being able to get a day off and grill some brats and watch fireworks.

Unfortunately, while I shall remember the works and sacrifice of many generations have led to the freedom and prosperity we enjoy today, I sit here, 233 years after the Declaration that began it all, and wonder if the current trend, which involves us trading freedoms for security under an ever-burgeoning government, will result in my kids never understanding the true meaning of freedom when they grow up.

So whatever your poison may be (Bush big-government "conservatism" or Obama neo-Marxist paternalism), we live in a country that is losing its way. Or in the words of another Founding Father (who, incidentally, wrote the document we should all read on this day:

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. - Thomas Jefferson

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, Hope you had a great 4th! I went to a local parade and a float went by that was military (veterans and current), and the people stood up and gave them a standing ovation. Lest I remind you, I live in NJ!!!!!!!! It gave me goosebumps that people remembered the people who made this day possible.

I am not sure if losing our way is appropriate, I think we have lost it. Health care, the economy....where do you even begin? These issues stand in front of us and instead of using stairs, we are using a ramp lubed with grease. Getting nowhere!

JoeBama "Truth 101" Kelly said...

Your cynicism reminds of my hero TAO Patrick. I mean that in a complimentary way. You also see what's going on and refuse to be goaded into irrational optimism.

TAO said...

Patrick....

Happy fourth of July....

The truth is no one wants ideals or beliefs....they just want power and control....

Patrick M said...

Jenn: I say losing because there are still many people who do have the will to fight. And there is the chance we will reach the point where the majority manages to remove their head from collective ass. At least that's my hope.

101: Despite my downer of a post, I am still optimistic. If anything, it was the fact that far too much of our 7/4 celebrations (as opposed to an Independence Day celebration) trivialize freedom. That's where I was going for. Speaking of Tao....

Tao: Not true, sir. There's a reason I quote men like Mr Adams and admire men of the caliber of Mr Washington: While they took great power upon themselves, they had the will to let it go....