Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What Happened to Barry?!?!?!?

First of all, full disclosure: I became interested in this speech because I heard about it on Rush. Not surprisingly, it was some skewering a-goin' on. So I figgered I'd give Obama a chance in his own words, and I found the following clip on YouTube. It's posted by the official Obama site, so I waded in and listened to it, twice. Go ahead and listen, then see if my analysis is bang on. I surspect it shall be so.



First of all, the fallen heroes are in the audience?!?!?! What are they, zombies? Are they eating brains? In that case, time to break out the chainsaws and shotguns and obliterate some zombie ass. Sounds like a plot for a game I played. Either way, it's a seriously goofy gaffe, though theoretically well-intentioned, I guess.

Now as for the whole speech: What the glowing donkey fuck happened to his eloquence? The messiah was sounding less like his glorious self and more like a sixth-grader delivering a God, Flag, and Country speech. The person who wrote this bland meandering piece of shit should be tossed off the Sears Tower in Chicago. It drips with the usual attempts to hit every point even remotely close to something vaguely related to Memorial Day. It's more or less a standard Obama, but with more revered speech about the dead and less passion than a blender full of gravel.

And why did it meander to non-Memorial Day crap? Building a 21st century VA? No homeless vets? What does that have to do with the hallowed dead? Credit to the banning funeral protests part, as that does involve desecrating the hallowed dead, but it was mixed up in an assload of minutia, and it's a Memorial Day Speech. And we memorialize the fallen soldiers by honoring the living ones?

After listening to this nine minutes of drivel, twice, I've come to a conclusion. This was a throwaway speech that he felt he had to give, but didn't give a shit about. Why do I say this? Because after I finished listening to Obama's impression of AlGore's 2000 election performances, I clicked on another clip where he was going on about the poor. And while I didn't pay attention to the words, I did hear the passion that marks most of his public speeches. I draw some more conclusions from that, but that would use more gut instincts than my liberal readers could handle, and I'm sure I'll get to unleash them anyway as this battle of the unsuitable continues on toward Denver....

8 comments:

Mike's America said...

The Obama zombies aren't looking for brains, they are looking for change.

The gaffe or two, or three... or four isn't the most troubling thing about Obama that we are FINALLY learning. It is the pattern of confused facts and inconsistencies. I intend to post on the example of Obama's varying Venezuela shortly as an example.

Like Bush or not,he always presents a very clear and direct policy. Obama can't seem to make up his mind from one minute to the next and that's not a quality we need in a president.

repsac3 said...

This post doesn't go so well with the last one...

Either we're hypersensitive over these foolish "gotcha!" moments or we're not.

Funny?

Yes.

Indicative of anything deeper than using the wrong word or phrase in a speech?

Not so much...

(As regards the humor of his last few errors, I love the folks on the right making stupid errors very similar to Obama's while in attack mode. One prominent rightwing blogger, in the process of lecturing Obama on the necessity of precision when discussing historical matters, had Buchenwald being liberated in April, 1954... Brilliant. Just brilliant.)

When Noting Someone Else’s Oopsie, Don’t Make One of Your Own

I'm with you on the hypersensitivity post, though...

Shaw Kenawe said...

ZOMG! Senator Obama made a luke-warm speech and made some goofy errors!

That proves that he's unfit to be preznit! Really. Good job, you guys in sniffing out how awful he is at speechifying! Thank goodness we've got you to point out his short-comings.

But when it comes to goofiness and downright incoherence, nobody, but nobody can beat this guy. He's in a class all by himself:

"A lot of times in politics you have people look you in the eye and tell you what's not on their mind." --George W. Bush, Sochi, Russia, April 6, 2008

"Soldiers, sailors, Marines, airmen, and Coastmen -- Coast Guardmen, thanks for coming, thanks for wearing the uniform." --George W. Bush, at the Pentagon, March 19, 2008

'Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream.'

"And so, General, I want to thank you for your service. And I appreciate the fact that you really snatched defeat out of the jaws of those who are trying to defeat us in Iraq." --George W. Bush, to Army Gen. Ray Odierno, Washington, D.C., March 3, 2008


"Wait a minute. What did you just say? You're predicting $4-a-gallon gas? ... That's interesting. I hadn't heard that." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Feb. 28, 2008

"I can press when there needs to be pressed; I can hold hands when there needs to be -- hold hands." --George W. Bush, on how he can contribute to the Middle East peace process, Washington, D.C., Jan. 4, 2008


'Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?'

Shaw Kenawe said...

But the real point you're trying to make is what? That Obama is stupid?

You know he's not, despite what Mike's A tried to convince himself of.

Do politicians make dull speeches now and again? (I just finished reading some desultory speeches by Abraham Lincoln.) Yes. Do they say goofy things, mixed-up things? And make errors? Yes. Yes. And Yes.

What you conservatives are hilariously crowing over is that you've found Obama doing it, and that is the exception, not the rule for him.

So I understand your astonishment. Yes. When someone as smart as he is makes a mistake, I can see why you guys get all giddy and tingley inside.

You're hoping he'll be as goofy as Dubya has been for low these 8 long, suffering, hideous, embarrassing years.

Na Ga Happen.

Obama will make mistakes. [I know it's difficult for you guys to believe, but he is human and not an Olympian god.]

But he won't [unlike Dubya] make them every time he opens his mouth.

So enjoy your 15 minutes of gloat. ;-)

Patrick M said...

Mike: The zombies NEED the brains though. Really.

Repsac: You did note that I noted the irony of me blaming the blogosphere to a degree, I hope.

My main point here was that, unlike his soaring (and generally empty) rhetoric, this speech was a flat, rote speech that meandered into subjects that were irrelevant to the day, and seemed to miss the point entirely by the end.

And the problem with this is that Memorial Day is a stirring and important day as we remember our fallen warriors. And he didn't seem stirred.

Shaw: Where to begin with you? I'll admit, when I saw you had commented, 'twas icing.

Then you left a second comment in the time it took me to type the prior paragraph. I think you just like to make me read your stuff, because you make it a significant challenge to respond.

Obviously, the fun part was his nod to the zombie soldiers, but that's more for a laugh. Not that you couldn't resist pasting from your collection of real or perceived "Dumb Bush Quotes" for some reason. Here's a hint, on dum kwotz, live in the now.

On to the serious, though. The problem is that, while the whole country is stirred by his soaring speeches when he's flinging off the words "change" and "hope" like a mechanical manure spreader (intentionally tasteless analogy), he couldn't pull off that same imagery for fallen soldiers on Memorial Day. I could have pulled a 2-minutes speech off from the top of my head that would have been more stirring than that. And I'm not a natural public speaker.

This is not about being goofy. I went into this speech expecting just to make fun of him. But this is just another piece of the puzzle that is Obama, and an Osama (oops, guess I must have dropped my keyboard into that chamber pot), I mean Obama presidency is definitely not a world I want to live in.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but maybe we'll get lucky and have four years of Hillary....

Anonymous said...

And the problem with this is that Memorial Day is a stirring and important day as we remember our fallen warriors. And he didn't seem stirred.

As usual, you guys look for style rather than substance when it comes to patriotism.

Senator Obama left the campaign trail and went to Washington to vote for the Webb-Hagel GI Bill. You know, the one that gives those in the military who have been forced to spend 1,2,3,4, and more deployments.

Actions speak louder than words, Patrick.

Obama was there to make sure those men and women who have had to suffer under the stupidity of the Bush Doctrine get some reward, other than fake arms and legs.

John McCain didn't show up for the vote.

Support the Troops. Make pretty speeches.

Shaw Kenawe said...

Senator Obama left the campaign trail and went to Washington to vote for the Webb-Hagel GI Bill. You know, the one that gives those in the military who have been forced to spend 1,2,3,4, and more deployments.

The bill that gives those who have honorably and bravely served their country a chance to get a piece of the American dream--education, health care. You know, what any nation that cares about its troops would do for the men and women who sacrifice for it.

Barack Obama voted Yes. John McCain voted No.

Patrick M said...

Good for Obama. Doesn't change my analysis.

And if you hadn't noticed, this is not a McCain-friendly place, so comparing him to Obama is like comparing horseshit to camelshit (yes, a wholly inappropriate but funny Muslim reference (I have pics)). You'll understand after my Friday post.