Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Email I Was Waiting For

Someone was perusing my MySpace page and sent me an email containing this text:
WOW! You want to run for President!?! I'm not sure if that is a serious goal, or something someone talks about to be humorous.
I have been waiting for someone to ask this rather than humor me. Here's the deal: I am doing much more than wanting to run for President. I AM running for president.

Back in 1800, the candidates for President didn't actively run for the office. In fact, one of the candidates, President John Adams, won the race doing nothing in particular to win. He let his record and people who believed he would be the best choice carry him into office. By the end of his single term as President, he was subjected to countless vicious verbal attacks over everything. In the end, he left office after one term. This is the kind of candidacy I want to run.

I will be here sharing my thoughts and opinions over the next few months. But it will be up to others to keep this campaign moving. I will put as much effort into running as everyone who believes I can do this puts into it. For behind every candidate is an army of people who believe in the abilities of their candidates.

I will admit I currently have as much chance of making an impact as a snowball in Hell, or Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich in the Iowa Caucuses tomorrow. But I'm not at the point where I'm simply wasting time for no reason yet. So until it is time to hang it up, I will keep this going. But I need support. I'm not asking for money yet, as this only needs to be a word-of-mouth campaign at the moment. But everybody has to start somewhere, and with something this big, the worst that can happen is that I will be back at it in four years.

No comments: