Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Shooting People is A-OK

Sticking with the standard news rule of "If it bleeds, it leads," I have the distinct honor every single day of opening up my browser and reading about the latest shooting, whether at work or at school. And I'm tired of something. Every shooting is covered as though there are a passel of sheep standing there and this terrible gun wielded by a disturbed person comes in and begins blasting people. Then all the sheep try to scatter and run. Then the police swoop in and the wacko offs himself, the last gun victim. Then we swoop in and blame the gun, blame the parents (sometimes justifiably), blame society. Then there's the grief counselors, people paid to listen to us whine because something bad happened.

The problem with this is that everybody is a victim here. Rarely do you hear about someone hiding behind a door and tackling the cocksucker with the gun. Even more rare is the armed citizen that shoots the filthy bastard that decided to see skulls explode because of his personal glitch. And rarest of all is the satisfaction expressed by people that the maniac decided to ventilate his own diseased brain.

I celebrate when an obviously deranged person gets shot dead when he is on the kill. I have no sympathy for him. I have pride in those who shoulder the responsibility of carrying a weapon for the sole purpose of dealing with these people. And I'm willing to say that anybody who shoots a killer is just fine in my book, or even my blog. In fact, if you do it 20 years from now, I'd like you to meet my daughter.

Now I'm not trying to highlight my personal thrill for violence against obvious criminals. My point is that when dealing with people who want to kill you, either personally, impersonally, or even in the context of terrorism, the best way to stop them from killing you is to kill them. And the best way to have that is to return to the idea of an armed populace. I'm not necessarily in favor of everybody having guns. But I have no problems with children learning about guns, how to use them, and what they can do. I love the idea of concealed weapons with permit. The balance to this is that these people are trained, have passed background checks, and are known to the police. In response to these idiot signs and their accompanying rules that ban weapons from places where there are a lot of people (and therefore targets) my father has instituted a weapons welcome policy at his business (which is not a gun shop). And I find myself looking for people who agree with me. So here's a link to check out: Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, concealedcampus.org

So keep your powder dry out there....

No comments: